Sunday 8 July 2012

Richard Schiff interview


From dinosaurs to democrats, Richard Schiff’s career has spanned some fascinating territory in the past three decades. Now the Emmy winning actor is in UK to judge Sheffield’s International Student Drama Festival and is teaching the actors of tomorrow about researching roles, questioning their profession and avoiding late night takeaways. 

  
Schiff Happens
Not many 57 year olds can get away with a fist bump as a greeting. The gesture is in the domain of the young; the sort of thing that would usually be used by rappers in gratuitously materialistic music videos, not by a distinguished middle-aged New Yorker sporting a greying beard and trillby. However this is exactly how Richard Schiff greets people as they approach him at the Crucible theatre in Sheffield. As he extents his fist to me I see the reason for this unconventional greeting;  his wrist is bandaged from a recent injury. We touch knuckles and he languidly smiles. “A minor accident,” is all he gives in way of explanation.

Schiff has just come out of Newcastle University’s theatre society’s production of Sweeny Todd, a performance that he gave a standing ovation. He is one of three judges of Sheffield’s International Student Drama Festival, which is running from the 22nd -30th of June. The West Wing star is a major coup for the festival which, for the first time in its 40 year history, will include international productions and an international judging panel. By his side is the actor’s 18 year old son Gus, who diligently organises his father’s hectic schedule. It is Gus who arranges for me to attend the next day’s Q&A session as Schiff senior is swept away by a gaggle of excited theatre lovers.

With over 30 years of acting experience - covering stage, TV and film - Schiff has carved out a career as an acclaimed character actor. Starting out on Broadway in the 80s, he made the leap to TV in the early 90s appearing in shows like LA Law and Doogie Howser, M.D. before getting supporting roles in films such as the Coen’s Brother’s Hudsucker Proxy and Spielberg’s blockbuster sequel Jurassic Park: The Lost World (where he fell foul to the T-Rex). 

                                                            Ripped apart in The Lost World.

However his most famous role came at the end of the decade as dour White House communications director Toby Ziegler in Aaron Sorkin’s acclaimed political drama The West Wing. Since then Schiff has worked alongside Hollywood heavyweights such as Al Pacino (People I Know), Sean Penn (I am Sam) and Jamie Foxx (Ray).

Even with such an impressive resume and critical acclaim (he received two Emmy nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actor for The West Wing) he has never hit the heights of a superstar himself. He can walk down the streets of Sheffield unmolested, but as soon as he steps foot in the Crucible bar, or any other of the festival’s venues, he’s immediately mobbed by fans, budding actors and festival staff. He is a celebrity that is beloved in the community of actors and fans, but can still remain anonymous in public.

He seems content with this level of recognition. During the following days Q&A he reveals that the only reason he is envious of actors of a high stature – he singles outs Philip Seymour Hoffman and Dustin Hoffman as examples – is they have will have much more time to prepare a research roles. “With Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote for instance, I’m sure he took six months to work on that piece. For me, because of the tier I'm in, I won’t get that time to prepare because movies won’t wait for my schedule.”
It’s clear research is something that he feels passionately about. “I think you should research forever. Al Pacino has been working on Richard III since he was three and he’s still not ready to call it a day. He’s a little obsessed.” However he believes that budding actors should look to the real world for inspiration rather than other actors. “Some people say that acting is stealing; steal from actors, steal from each other, steal and then make it your own. I don’t believe in stealing from actors. I think living in the real world is so much more enriching. If you’re going to steal from anywhere then take it from the real world. Go up to some guy in the street. If you’ve got to play a southerner go down to Alabama and meet a guy. Don’t steal it off some actor with a southern drawl. Go hang out in a fucking trailer park in the swamps.”

For the young student actors at the festival, spending time in Alabama trailer parks to research roles is perhaps out of their reach, but he doesn’t forget his audience and has an impressive knowledge of England. He first came to the country when he was 17 in 1972, when he was visiting London as part of his travels around Europe. He had saved up a small amount of money working as a cab driver in New York and subsequently had to live on the cheap. "All I could afford was eating at Whimpy burgers, and very cheap Indian restaurants and takeaways, where I got odd looking dishes, some of which that actually moved on your plate.”

Since then he has come several times, sometimes for work (he was the sole performer in Glen Berger’s one man play Underneath the Lintel in the West End in 2007) and sometimes for pleasure. Why did he choose to come to Sheffield and do the festival? “I still don’t have an answer to that. Except something in me loves to come here and I respects the British tradition of theatre and acting. I think what I’m going to get out of it is that it’s going to remind me why I became an actor in the first place. It’s a question that I ask quite often.”
Questioning his craft out loud is something that Schiff does frequently, even when he hasn’t been promoted to. Asked how he started acting, he responds with hefty anecdote about the particulars off-off-Broadway in the early 80s before eventually coming to the conclusion: “I still don’t know if I’m an actor. And I’m really not sure if I’m going to continue with it.”

What makes him not want to continue? “I admire those that are committed to it and who decided at a very young age that they wanted to do it. But I’m not one of those people. So I’m always asking the question; what compels me to keep doing it? And what story do I have to tell?”

I ask if there is a difference between acting on stage and acting on screen, expecting another existential, stream-of-consciousness discussion on the nature of the craft. However his answer is surprisingly prosaic. “One of the first TV shows that I did was LA Law. LA Law was very quick and very fast work, because it was a machine by then. You had marks that you had to hit so the camera could focus and know exactly where to go and on stage I used to be much freer in how I moved. And a fellow actor pointed out that I kept missing my mark so the guys behind the camera were getting really annoyed. So it was hard. You had to work out how to talk and walk at the same time and hit the mark. So there are all these little technical things about acting in front of camera.”


                                         One of the famous walk and talk scenes from The West Wing
      
 Did this help you prepare for the famous walk and talk shots in the West Wing? “Oh yeah. There was a lot of walk and talk on the West Wing. As I worked more in TV I learned to become much friendlier with the camera and the camera operators. And then, as I got to do much more challenging, intimate, emotional, complex TV work, I learned to act with the cameras. You learn that your relationship with that camera is very important. It’s a very unspoken but intimate relationship that you learn to develop with the camera.”

So what’s next? He has several projects lined up including starring in Eugene O’Neil’s Hughie at the Dublin gate and Lanford Wilson’s Talley’s Folly on Broadway. There is also the small matter of Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot Man of Steel coming out next year. Schiff plays the supporting role of Dr. Emil Hamilton but, sadly, is contractually unable to provide many details. “It’s going to be huge and exciting.”

Before he is bundled off by the ever time conscious festival organisers eager to get him to his next appointment he says; “Somewhere in my doesn’t want to write but I want to tell stories through other people’s words and interpretation of other peoples characters. That’s what I want to do and that’s what keeps me acting.”

He lifts his fist with a wry smile and we touch knuckles again and then his is swept away, Gus diligently by his side, to watch the next generation of British actors in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment